Monday, November 1, 2010

He Bought You…/ I missed Halloween because of Jesus Freaks Night

Yesterday, the Lord showed me an utterly incredible revelation, and I desire to share it with you all.
Sunday morning, as I was having some study and quiet time, I watched a video that I had obtained from one of the staff members. It was one of the original Bravehearted Thots that are hard to find now: “Come” by Paris Reidhead, from the sermon “So Great Salvation.” I’ll let you watch it for yourself (it is 8 minutes long, but it is 8 minutes of glory):

http://www.braveheartedgospel.com/braveheartedgospel/Come.html

I watched that video about three or four times before church. As I sat listening to Eric’s sermon, I was utterly amazed: his sermon was entirely on the truth that sets a man free (it’s called “Reckoning With Truth”, so I suggest you listen to it if you get the chance). It was just like Paris Reidhead’s video. As we sat in worship, it struck me so suddenly I simply had to sit down. Christ didn’t just purchase us to set us free… but also to make us His bride! I was overwhelmed with the incredible love and grace of God, that He, beautiful He, would come down, and take a wretch like me to be His Bride.

“Again, the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Son of man, cause Jerusalem to know her abominations, and say, Thus saith the Lord God unto Jerusalem; Thy birth and thy nativity is of the land of Canaan; thy father was an Amorite, and thy mother an Hittite. And as for thy nativity, in the day thou wast born thy navel was not cut, neither wast thou washed in water to supple thee; thou wast not salted at all, nor swaddled at all. None eye pitied thee, to do any of these unto thee, to have compassion upon thee; but thou wast cast out in the open field, to the loathing of thy person, in the day that thou wast born. And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live. I have caused thee to multiply as the bud of the field, and thou hast increased and waxen great, and thou art come to excellent ornaments: thy breasts are fashioned, and thine hair is grown, whereas thou wast naked and bare. Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine. Then washed I thee with water; yea, I throughly washed away thy blood from thee, and I anointed thee with oil. I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk. I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck. And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head. Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom. And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord GOD.” (Ezek 16:1-14)

This is the beauty of the gospel, seen in Ezekiel 16, that “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8).” We were wretched, evil, slaves to sin, utterly depraved, or, as Paris Reidhead would say, “Monsters of Iniquity!” Despite that –despite that – Christ died for us, to purchase us as His people and as His Bride. Not because of some intrinsic beauty we had in our own souls, but because He desired to be glorified in and through us, and the only way He can get glory out of a man is by this great salvation. (More on that in Reidhead’s sermon “Ten Shekels and a Shirt”)

He bought you, with such a great price. Don’t be like Israel, who, in verse 15 of Ezekiel, became a whoremonger. If you are, turn around, repent, and turn to the person of Jesus Christ. Only He can save you from sin. There is only one way, and that is the way of the cross.

On a different note, last night for me was incredible. At Ellerslie, we didn’t celebrate the typical demonic day honored on October 31st. Instead, we had what Ben Zornes dubbed a “Jesus Freaks Night.” We split into three teams with a short story of a martyr, and we had to reenact the story. It was funny, seeing as how we only had thirty minutes to plan, no props, and none of us were truly actors, however, it was also very sobering. It is sobering to realize that a 7 year old boy was beheaded because of his love for Jesus. It is sobering to realize that a young woman’s hand was held over a flame until the skin peeled away, and was later burned with other Christians. It is sobering to realize that Richard Wurmbrand endured more torture than our comfortable American minds can imagine, such as brainwashing for 15 hours a day. However, this is all true. What is even more amazing, though, was the incredible joy all of these men and women throughout history had. That 7 year old boy smiled as he was being whipped and taken to the chopping block. Those who were burned at the stake clapped and sang for joy. Richard Wurmbrand actually loved the Communists, and some of them were converted.

What an incredible reality. However, the result of this joy found in Christ during excruciating pain is not because of some sudden burst of super saint hood. It will not be found in browsing facebook for hours. It will not be found in pursuing after life as the world does, going to college, getting a 9-to-5 job, raising a family, and being the average American. It isn’t even found in Ellerslie really, though this is a great start. True joy in all trials is found in daily dying to yourself and yielding your body up to Christ’s use as He sees fit.

Yes, we at Ellerslie are quite weird. Rather than honoring candy and costumes like everyone else in America, we honored the death of the saints. We applaud martyrdom, and seek after it! But that is what Christianity is all about, isn’t it? The martyr’s crown – should we not strive for it?

I do know one thing: I don’t think I’ll ever celebrate that other day again – uh, what was it called?

5 comments:

  1. So awesome. There are no words...

    As I read this there are compromises I have made and am making that immediately pop into my mind...things that I know I have to cut off...things I've been struggling with for a very long time, because they're what every other human (or so it would seem) would consider a "gray area", but God has shown me it's black and white.

    Thank you for the encouraging posts...more people should be like you, and, by extension, more like Jesus...

    On a sillier note, every time I read Paul Reidhead's name I kept thinking it said "redhead"...and I think that would be a very funny last name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I and some of my other friends didn't celebrate halloween either! Our small group fell on that night, so we spent some extra time in prayer and worship...and it was really good :). I thought you might like to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were blessed by this! Praise God.

    It's true, the deeper we go with Christ, the more areas He reveals that need His control. I encourage you to let God rule. It's always worth it.

    Good for you guys! Thanks for telling me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed your blog, the truth of the Word and the glimpses into Ellerslie life. (found you through NRJohnson.) I can't describe how I feel about Halloween and the fact that so many Christians celebrate it. I tried to remember what I was doing on Halloween . . . oh yeah, that's the evening that our new pastor arrived with a u-haul and trailer. :0) It was such a beautiful time! . . . but someone had to bring a Halloween cake. ugh.

    Jesus Freak Night sounds like a life-changing event. Thanks for sharing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Ellerslie really is quite a different atmosphere. I don't think I've ever encountered anything quite like it, to be honest.

    I know what you mean about churches, though. If it's not Halloween, it's a "Fall Festival" or something else. We need to be careful of not just talking about it, but doing something about it too!

    Many Blessings!

    Nik

    ReplyDelete