Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ode to my Roomie

Most of you don't know my roommate Nathan Rogers, but I want to give a shout out to him, simply because he is one amazing guy. And because he got the call to go home a few days ago (and I mean that literally).

When I first arrived in the incredibly strange Denver International Airport one May 31st, I remember looking around with my mom and finding Grace and the other students. I saw a group of fine looking young men and women and promptly began making small talk with them. A few feet away, I saw a young man with dark blond hair, bangs that covered his face, a necklace and tight jeans. I remember thinking, "Surely, he's not one of us" in my fleshly way. Sure enough, he was. This was my first impression of Nathan Rogers.

Nathan was the type of guy who had fallen into the modern trap of the Cool Christian Image. He wanted to look good, say all the right things, and be in the center stage. However, a change began to take place upon this young man over the summer semester. I think some of it had to do with his baptism and truly dying to self. He went from straightening his hair every morning to a buzz cut. He ditched the silly bandanna he always had sticking out of his back pocket. He really became a new man.

Something substantially changed in the life of Nathan Rogers. He was still rough around the edges, but God was molding him, and he was actually letting God do it. Slowly, the guy who was concerned all about his image became obsessed with the Lord Jesus Christ, and His glory being lifted high. We still laughed with Nathan and enjoyed his never ending joviality, but there was something different.

Though he wasn't my roommate during the summer session, I have had the extreme pleasure of rooming with him the past few weeks at Ellerslie. Nathan certainly is energetic. The great irony of this, however, is that we are total opposites. I typically go to bed at 9 or so, waking myself quite early in the morning, whereas Nathan takes pleasure in staying up later, and is incredibly hard to get out of bed in the mornings.

However, I think we have begun taking on one another's qualities. I notice myself becoming more energetic and using a few of his mannerisms, sometimes as a joke, but usually without even thinking. It's almost creepy in a way, but we have rubbed off on one another, especially in the spiritual sense. We have both been a challenge to one another as we ran together and pursued Christ together. Truly, iron has sharpened iron, and I think he has sharpened me much more than I him.

All in all, Nathan has become a very fast friend of mine. He is a brother that sticks closer than a friend. His love and holy reverence for God and the things of God are incredible. Nathan can see things that other men can't, and his wise discernment is something many elderly people would envy.

Now, he is leaving for home. All I can say is, "Watch out Florida! Here comes Nathan Rogers! And Heaven's coming with him!" I do hope to see him again this side of glory, and I likely will. But if not, then I look forward to the hour in which we meet once more on the other side of that celestial shore.

All for the King and His Glory!

1 comment:

  1. Man, the biography on the life of Nathan Rogers that will be written one day will be pretty amazing. We from the first semester (and also the fall 2010 semester students) are quite the privileged bunch to have gotten to grow along-side of him.

    ReplyDelete