Saturday, May 28, 2011

Leaving Rivendell

Yesterday I flew out of Denver, Colorado, heading home for Georgia. I’ve officially graduated from Ellerslie’s Advanced program.

It has been quite the year, to say the very least. I’ve seen a taste of what heaven will be: I feel like I’ve been at Ellerslie forever, yet it hasn’t been long enough. The environment found at Ellerslie is something entirely different from anything I have ever seen in this world. The bonds of fellowship I have formed there are deeper than any other fellowship I’ve experienced. I think that is because we have something deeper there than just normal friendship. It’s almost like we went through ‘Nam together. Even if I can’t remember what state they’re from, or how many siblings they have, I know that we can nod and smile knowingly at one another.

When I left home a year ago, I had this feeling of stepping out into the unknown. It’s much like the way Samwise felt as he and Frodo were leaving the Shire: “If I take one more step, it will be the furthest away I’ve ever been from home.” You could say I “left the Shire” when I went to Ellerslie.

To continue the Lord of the Rings analogy, I feel as though Ellerslie has been my Rivendell. Ellerslie is a place of healing, of preparation for the journey that is to come. I have been taught, trained, built up, and prepared for whatever may come.

Now what comes? Mordor lies ahead, and with that, discomfort, pain, suffering, and trials. Yet the difference between Frodo and Sam and myself is that I have the essence of my “Rivendell” within me. Jesus Christ remains ever with me; truly I am never alone.

The epic adventure that God has called us to is so much grander than the one that those two courageous hobbits went on. They fought a temporal battle; ours has eternal ramifications. They had Aragorn and Gandalf; we get King Jesus on our side. They took a ring to a volcano; we are out to see men and women rescued by the Lord and Savior. No matter where I go in my life, whether I fight in this country, or in some foreign land, I know my Jesus stands beside me.


Note: Because I am no longer at Ellerslie, this blog will be discontinued. I am considering reconstructing it or creating a new one, but as for now, there will be no more posts until further notice. Thank you for reading; I pray you have been blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment